Greek police are investigating the deaths of five infants and two adults, as the country’s health ministry accused the nurse of taking babies from the homes of migrant parents.
In an unprecedented attack, the state health ministry said on Monday that the nurse, identified as Maria, who is the wife of the head of Acrosphere Hospital in the town of Kastylos, took the babies in the first two days of February.
The ministry said the deaths were caused by “medical negligence”, which it said was a violation of international law.
“The hospital did not do any of the procedures necessary to protect the newborns,” a ministry spokesman told Al Jazeera.
The deaths of the five babies were first reported by local media on Sunday.
“She is the nurse that took these babies, she took them to Acro Sphere Hospital,” the spokesperson said.
“And in order to save the babies, the hospital did the procedure.”
“And the procedure was not done to save babies,” he added.
“This nurse is the head nurse of Acros Sphere, she has a position in the hospital, she knows everything about babies and babies,” the spokesman said.
The spokeswoman declined to identify the nurse.
“She will be held in custody until the investigation is finished,” he said.
On Saturday, a statement from the hospital said the nurses “worked diligently to save many lives and prevent the spread of diseases”, adding that “there was a good rapport between the medical staff and the children”.
“There is no evidence to support this allegation,” the statement said.
It said that the hospital had opened an inquiry into the deaths and would conduct an internal investigation to “further clarify the situation”.
“We are investigating this extremely seriously,” the hospital’s statement added.’
I will be punished’The mother of one of the children, identified only as Rene, told the Athens-based newspaper Alia that she had taken care of the infant at the hospital and had no reason to suspect the nurse was responsible for the deaths.
“I don’t believe the nurses at the Acros Hospital were responsible,” Rene told Alia.
“I will have to be punished for what I did.”
“I feel very bad.
I feel that they took the baby from my house.
They had no right to take the baby,” Raine said.
She added that she would file a complaint with the Greek police.
“It’s very sad.
I’m really angry.
I don’t know what to do.
I want to die,” she said.’
Nothing else to do’After the initial death of the infants, Greek media outlets picked up the story and ran the stories of the mothers.
On Monday, the Greek newspaper Agora reported that the three other women who had taken the babies also said they would file complaints with the police.
It quoted one of them, named as Yolga, as saying she had been “shocked” and “shameful” to see the deaths because she had “never seen so many babies in such a short time” and had never seen so much suffering in a single day.
“When I saw the babies I couldn’t believe it,” she told Agora.
“We’ve never seen anything like it,” said another, named Maria, also identified as Raul.
The babies were taken away by a nurse who was also working at the clinic and “never looked at the baby”, Agora quoted the women as saying.
The women said that their son had been taken away from them, and that they were afraid they would “not be able to see their child for many days”.
“The nurses have no idea where their babies have been taken,” Maria said.
They also claimed that the baby had been put in a box for two days in the maternity ward and that the parents had been given a bag with a “dead baby” in it, Agora said.
A spokesman for the hospital in Acropolis, the second largest in the country, told Alias that the case had been investigated and the nurse had been removed from the facility.
“We cannot comment on the case,” the doctor said.
Earlier, the head doctor at the maternity hospital, Dr Antipolis Koutsourakis, told Agence France-Presse that the nurses had been suspended, adding that they had been told by hospital officials that the children would be placed in the care of a local NGO, called the Adoption Committee.
“There was nothing else to take care of these babies,” Koutsounis said.
He said that “at this moment we have no information” as to what happened to the babies.
“These babies have all the symptoms of having been exposed to a disease.
We’re just waiting for a complete investigation,” he told the AFP news agency.
He also said that no medical certificates were needed to carry out the babies’ autopsy, which was done in a private hospital.
“They’re in good